Saturday, November 18, 2006

Winter Nights

I love winter nights, especially when the air is cold but not quite cold enough where it's nippy. Cold nights also equal another thing: lack of water vapor in the sky. cold air can't hold as much moisture as warm air does, which means clearer skies at night.

Last night was such a night, it was 12 when I came back from the Lightning game. My very first nhl hockey game, sat all the way up in the nosebleeds. We were six rows below the back wall, but can't complain, the tickets were free. So when I pulled up into the driveway, and looked up, I was absolutely floored. Someone had knocked out the streetlight in front of my house, so the scope of the view into the night sky was immense. To cite an example: normally, with decent light pollution, only the brightest and largest stars shine through. But last night, the span of the universe was open to my naked eyes, and there is so much to take in and be awed by the number of stars. no one really look up anymore. when was the last time one wished upon a shooting star? I suppose there's good reason to not to, you wouldn't want to make a wish to a satellite.

It's a good year for the Leonid meteors this year, and last night i spotted a couple shooting streaks before I went in to escape from the cold. For a while I lay back on the hood, put my jacket under my head, and just looked up. I suppose I zoned out a little bit from the reverie, but it was a reflective moment. last night was perfect, one of those nights where it wouldn't be so cold if one had someone with them. and then, i started thinking, maybe that's all i want. just someone to embrace, a friend or more, it doesn't matter, just someone to look up with. to be alone in this world is impossible, but it's very easy to become lonely. and when one becomes lonely, a person's gaze tend to be more focused downwards except upwards.

To go off topic a bit, I rediscovered this Vertical Horizon song that I took a shining to, listened it on the way to the river today:


"Everything You Want"

Somewhere there's speaking
It's already coming in
Oh and it's rising at the back of your mind
You never could get it
Unless you were fed it
Now you're here and you don't know why

But under skinned knees and the skid marks
Past the places where you used to learn
You howl and listen
Listen and wait for the
Echoes of angels who won't return

[Chorus]
He's everything you want
He's everything you need
He's everything inside of you
That you wish you could be
He says all the right things
At exactly the right time
But he means nothing to you
And you don't know why

You're waiting for someone
To put you together
You're waiting for someone to push you away
There's always another wound to discover
There's always something more you wish he'd say

[Chorus]

But you'll just sit tight
And watch it unwind
It's only what you're asking for
And you'll be just fine
With all of your time
It's only what you're waiting for

Out of the island
Into the highway
Past the places where you might have turned
You never did notice
But you still hide away
The anger of angels who won't return

[Chorus]
I am everything you want
I am everything you need
I am everything inside of you
That you wish you could be
I say all the right things
At exactly the right time
But I mean nothing to you and I don't know why
And I don't know why
Why
I don't know

____________________________

morae's for bellydancing

No comments: